Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What a couple of days! Gamma and Gramma

I had mentioned that I would be having Gamma Knife for another (third) brain metastasis on Monday. No big deal, screw the metal frame in my head, send me off for hig resolution MRI and CT scans, and then the team makes a treatment plan (programs the computer to carry out the treatment), then go lie on the table and let it do its thinkg while I listen to music. OK, so when they had been working on the treatment plan for two hours we got called back, where the neurosurgeon said they discovered "quite a lot of new disease"- four additional tumors that would be added to treatment today, plus several more shadows that we would take a look at in six weeks. He also said those dreaded words, "It may be time to consider whole brain radiation." That's what I have been putting off till it's absolutely necessary,but I thought I would have more time. Side effects are deep fatigues that lasts for many months, loss of hair permanently over all the scalp, loss of memory and cognitive deficits. Plus, it's done with that god-awful hard mesh mask that I wore for IMRT just two months ago when I had the pituitary tumor.

I'm on chemo now, and we'd have to stop chemo to do WBR, I believe. I can't imagine more fatigue piled on top of the chemo fatigue I'm suffering from now, but I hear that's what you get. And then there's the darned inconvenience of the whole think = getting to the Clinic every day, either getting a ride or parking two blocks away, or paying nine dollars for valet parkint for a fifteen finute treatment. Well, we've got some of the best minds in the world working on me, so while I will express my preferences and concerns, I'm not going to try to outguess them. We really do have world class care at the Cleveland Clinic. I have been considering hiring someone to help me keep up with the housecleaning, and maybe it's the right time to do that. Greg says he can do it, but I have his time prioritized pretty well with projects, not scrubbing toilets. Iknow how his time is best used.



But let's go back a day or two in time. Larisa was past her due date on Thursday, I believe, so every day we were waiting for a call. We knew it was a girl, their third, and the sixth granddaughter (two grandsons). By Sunday, the 11th, I was hoping they could hold out till Greg's birthday on the 12th, since I wasn't doing anything fun for him - just brain surgery. But, we got the news by text message that she went in to the hospital at around noon, then no updates until we got another text at 6:50. Her name is Brynne Rene (Named after me with an updated twist), and she was 7# 10 ounces. A gorgeous, sturdy girl that looks to be all muscle. Must be from going running with her mother so often. Welcome to the world, Brynne, and welcome to the family. You will have high expectations placed on you, because it is how we honor you. And you will be showered with love,

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. High expectations, indeed.

    I'd rather spend the day with you in the hospital than to spend it anywhere by myself.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete